Monday, June 24, 2013

For the LOVE of the sport

Why? Some days I ask myself that. Why do I get up at 5 a.m. Why do I have to choose sleep over hanging out with my friends? I know it sounds like I am complaining, but it does get difficult making those decisions. Sometimes it is difficult answering them too.

Today I didn't have to answer them, someone else did.

I was at outdoor tower practice, exhausted and just not feeling it. I was listing off my crazy list of things to do for the day when my coach told me that I am very lucky to be able to do all of those things. I realized he was right! I have an amazing opportunity to dive for the University of Utah. I am lucky to have a great job. I am also blessed to be in college. I tend to take the little things for granted, and to some those aren't little things, they are huge.

I just did a terrible dive and a little boy swam over to me and said "That was a good dive. Do you dive for the University of Utah? It's my dream to go there!" He smiled got up and did his dive flying over. He laughed and got up and did another one, almost perfect. He had so much energy and passion, he was what reminded me of why I get up early, why I choose sleep over friends... FOR THE LOVE OF THE SPORT.

I learned that it was only his second time diving and he was already doing inward dives on the three meter... Now that is quite impressive if you know ANYTHING about diving. His Mom said he loves diving and has wanted to do it for two years. He was a gymnast so has that body awareness, but it's not that awareness that will make him good, it's his passion! He reminded me of when I started and how much I loved my sport. It's worth missing one night out with a friend here and there. I sadly will only be an athlete for a short time, but I will be a friend for a lifetime. 

Thanks to that little boy I remembered why I do what I do. I love diving, every bit of it. The early mornings, the smacks, the frustration, but also the fun, the feeling of learning a new dive, the traveling, the friends, the memories! If the positives outweigh the negatives you are doing it right.

Finding the balance of being a division one athlete is difficult, don't get me wrong. I sit and reminiscence on the nights I didn't see that movie, go to that concert or hang out with my friends. I am working on trying to find the right fit for everything in my life without leaving anyone or anything behind, especially my dreams.

-Kersten xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment