Monday, June 17, 2013

On injuries & reality

Day one back at Cottonwood Heights, which is our outdoor platforms. Trust me 10 meter looks a higher with an unlimited ceiling... And standing up there it looks even worse.


First day back means entries and basics. Sometimes I find basics harder than actually doing dives. I will be sore tomorrow, that's all I can say.


INJURY...

That word makes me cringe every time I hear it. In December I hit the board prior to one of our biggest duel meets of the season. It was during warm ups, and I was getting close on my dive, but then I ended up smacking my foot on the board pretty hard. Yes it hurt, but I was more worried about being able to compete. It was our rivalry meet and I couldn't let my team down. I told my trainer to tape it up and let me compete. It hurt through the whole event, but that meet was one of the best of my season. I learned that day what it was to be a team... NOT an individual. I did it for them. The picture on the left is my foot after I hit the board.

 
Right now my injury is healed and I'm ready to go! This isn't about me at the moment it's about my teammate and one of my best friends, Jasmine. I was asked one day when was a time to had to motivate someone? I always think of Jaz when it comes to motivation and success. Jaz hit the tower a year and a half ago during out training trip to Colorado. After finishing her season on her injured ankle she found out that it had a few stress fractures and some damage. She then had to undergo surgery. She is still struggling. The surgery didn't work for her. She is a talented diver and it is hard seeing her go through rehab, pain and starting over every practice. It hurts for her to jump, run and do everything diving consists of. She's suppose to be getting better, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It kills me that I can't do anything for her. I try my best but what can I really say? I don't understand what she is going through. I recovered from when I hit the board, she didn't. I just wish she could get back on the board, no issues, no pain. Until then I got to keep trying to motivate her to not give up.




No comments:

Post a Comment