Saturday, June 29, 2013

There will be challenges

The challenges we come across make us appreciate the good things we come across in life. A challenge I have to face each day is a Lupus diagnosis. People misinterpret Lupus as being lazy, not being really sick or "there's nothing wrong with you". The biggest thing people can do is educate themselves on what this disease really is. The best way I can describe it is it's an auto immune deficiency. For more information on lupus: click here

Lupus is a challenge for me, some days I don't even want to get out of bed because I am so exhausted, sometimes everything just hurts so much. And sometimes I just want to give up. It's a challenge I face, everyone faces different challenges, but when we overcome the challenges that is what makes everything worth it.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon with a girl I babysit. We went swimming for 3 hours and was in the hot sun. I didn't feel to bad out in the sun, but it was as soon as I came back inside took a shower and stood for a moment. I became extremely light headed and felt HORRIBLE. I guess I forget sometimes. My lupus had been going so well I forget that I am not invincible and actually do suffer from it. It's a challenge. I was able to go home from work and rest, which was nice. Then it was time for a new day. It's that choice, stay in bed and feel sorry for myself or get up and enjoy the day.

Having lupus is just one of the challenges I face. For everyone it is different, but at the end of the day it is a challenge. We can sit back and let it consume us, or we can decide to pick ourselves up and carry on with our day. I like the second option because even though there is a big challenge in front of me overcoming it every day is the greatest feeling in this world.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-Martin Luther King Jr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment