Friday, July 26, 2013

Family: distance is just a number

Sometimes you just need a little getaway from reality, a little vacation. Tomorrow I am off to Canada to pick up my little brother and bring him back to Salt Lake City for a week. The three Merry siblings will be together for a little bit. It's tough being away from family. 

My youngest brother is 14 and lives in Ontario, Canada with my parents. My Dad is in the military and was posted over to Ontario from Alberta, where I spent most of my life. My middle brother Mitchell is 18; he plays hockey. He moved to Manitoba to play hockey this past year and then moved back to Alberta to graduate with his friends. It's crazy how we aren't able to all be together for holidays and big occasions. Last Christmas I spent it at work, Mitchell spent it with the family he lives with during hockey season and Andrew spent it with my parents. 

Although we all cant be together through the important things we make it work. We talk all the time, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Imessage. We are a really close family, but sometimes it is hard not being able to walk downstairs and have a conversation. It is also hard not being able to share not the hard times but the success! Sharing all the good things with the people you love is the best feeling in the world. I love the emails and messages but getting that hug after accomplishing something is amazing.

I love my family even if we are all over the map. That again is life as a D1 athlete. 

-Kersten xo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment