Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The only limitations you have are the ones you put on yourself.

I was up bright and early at 5 a.m. eager and really nervous to see if I could actually run 10km (6.25 miles). The most I have ever ran in my life is 5km (3.2 miles). This was going to be an adventure.

My goal was well to complete the race, but also make it in under an hour. I had people laugh at me and say that it was impossible for me to run it under an hour.  That was encouraging...


I lined up a few minutes to 6 a.m. (start time) set my phone and had my music ready to go. When they said go I ran and ran and ran. I didn't stop once that entire time. The first 3 miles felt like a cake walk. I was going a really good pace (averaging 8minute miles). When I hit mile 4 I started hurting. I kept pushing myself though. I kept telling myself the only limitations I have are the ones I put on myself. I can do this. When I turned the corner on 200east there were people lined up all along the sides of the road cheering. It's Pioneer Day so everyone was waiting for the parade. There were little kids with their hands out, I high fived everyone who had their hands out. I wasn't doing it for record time I was doing it for fun, and that was my motivation and some fun for me.

I turned onto 900south and there it was the finish line. I slowed down a lot the last mile, but I had to finish. I kept smiling knowing I was almost there. I couldn't believe I did it.

I crossed that finish line 7th in my age group (19-24) and at a time of: 51 minutes and 52 seconds.

I did something today that people said I couldn't do. I did something for myself, a new goal a new accomplishment.
I was extremely lucky to have my coach, Richard, at my side through this. He inspires me to always do better. He always supports all of my goals and dreams in and out of the pool. He ran the half marathon and did amazing. I can't wait until I'll be running a half marathon.

 My little brother Andrew was waiting for me at the finish line. He was cheering me on as I came in. He helped volunteer for the event and I am so proud of him for that. I am so unbelievably lucky to have him as my little brother.
Travis was my number one fan today! He may have missed me cross the finish line (due to the fact I wasn't suppose to run that fast ;) but he was so proud of me. I am lucky to have him in my life and to support me in everything I choose to do.

-Kersten xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment